Thursday, January 7, 2010

The dreaded 40lbs

I have struggled with my weight off and on over the last 10 years. I am a typical stress eater. When I am under a lot of stress, I eat and eat and eat. I know that keeping my weight in check will be a lifelong discipline that I really need to develop. So I thought maybe putting my weight loss/gain in pictures it might help motivated me even more to get it off and keep it off FOR GOOD! (Seriously, I have no idea what has inspired me to put the worst pictures of me online - maybe because sugar is no longer flowing through my veins..... at least I can't be accused of not "keeping it real")

I gained about 30lbs my first year of marriage.
This is me at my wedding in April 2002:



And this is me in December 2002 with the Hubbs and my bro (he's in uniform):


I lost that 30lbs in a month by doing Atkins that spring, and managed to keep it off for about a year.
December 2003


But before long the weight started creeping back until I was caring the 40lbs yet again.
January 2005


That summer I got really serious. I did Weight Watchers, started exercising and for the first time, took really good care of myself. It took 8 months, but I got all 40lbs off in time for our vacation to Hawaii.

March 2006


I actually keep the weight off that time for several years. I stuck to weight watchers (occasionally throwing in slim fast) and bought a treadmill which I used several times a week.

November 2006


July 2007


Christmas 2007



I was doing really good until we found out Alex got into med school. Than the stress eating began again and it has continued without end.
This is me right before we left for med school
April 2008


And this is me now:


I have gained 30 lbs since Alex started med school. Seems only fitting to go back home weight what I was when I left:)

5 comments:

G-Ma said...

Hi Janna, I hear ya!!! Sheree and I have started running (me more walking than running, but its a start)and to keep us motivated I will be entering some races and sheree has already entered a race. I really hope this works. You can do it!!!

Janna said...

Thanks! When I lost weight last time I ran a lot - man how I miss my treadmill!

I've been thinking of starting again - and I've always wanted to do a race! I know you're going to do great!

Aunt Nutty said...

Well Janna, unfortunately I think this is just in our family genes. One year I'm a size 2 and then next thing I know I struggling to get size 8's or larger past my big ol butt! I just can't figure out how that happens!! Anyway this is a year I do have weight to lose, so let's you, Vicki and me band together to cheer each other one. Tracey

PS: Janna just know you are beautiful and whatever weight or size you are!

Jodi said...

Janna,
I hear you about toting the extra weight around! I need to lose about 30 lbs. I will do well for a week or two, start to see a small difference, and then go back to my bad habits. It's a hard cycle to break!

Janna said...

Tracey - thank you! for some reason it makes me feel better to know that other people are struggling with their weight too. I absoutly think we should band together!

Jodi - it is such a hard cycle to break! I need to stop rewarding my hard work with chocolate - that would probably help:)