Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Acceptance...

I recently found out that my sis-in-law is 8 weeks pregant. She and her husband had been trying, but it caught her off-guard that it happened so fast. I'm thrilled for her and so excited that I will have a new little niece or nephew this August.

I have been dreading this phone call for a long time. I know other infertiles understand. Sometimes it hard to be happy for someone when you have been trying so hard for the very thing they've received so easily.

But this was different. I refuse to let my infertility cause me to miss this important part of my sis-in-law's life. I read the phrase once that said "I am infertile, but my infertility doesn't define me." I'm trying harder to live that out.

I talked to my sister (who is a fellow infertile) about this and she said that I've reached the "acceptence" stage. I felt for a long time that my life wouldn't start until I have children. I've learned that my life is moving around me and I can't just sit and wait until that dream comes true. It's time for me to moving forward and set other dreams.

My dream of having a house full of babies will come true - someday. Acceptance is giving my dreams to God and trusting that He knows the best time for our dreams to happen.

Its such a release to finally feel truly happy watching my friends and families dreams of parenthood come true.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi! I found you from "A Pea in Our Pod Please." Hope you don't mind if I comment :)

When my sis-in-law got pregnant, in the midst of our infertility struggles, I was overjoyed. THAT caught me off-guard. I had been pretty angry about everyone else's pregnancies, but I was nothing but thrilled that my dear brother and his wife were expecting.

They are currently expecting #2 (due 1.19!!) and I still couldn't be more thrilled for them. It is true that I will never be pregnant and I still struggle being jealous of women who are, but never my sis-in-law.

I think your reaction just speaks of what kind of (great) relationship you must have with her.

And some acceptance, too!!

Janna said...

Thank you so much Rachel for the comment and encouragment!

Jodi said...

Janna, good for you. I love your attitude. I'm not there yet, I still cringe when I hear or read about other pregnancies, but I wish I could feel more like you do!