Friday, January 9, 2009

"I do"... again?



Alex and I have often talked of the idea of renewing our vows on our tenth anniversary. He was actually the one who suggested it a few years ago. I mean I realise my vows do not “expire”. For me it’s a public declaration of us continuing to stick it out through thick and thin.

It’s symbolic for many reasons. One is the many struggles our marriage has been through to get to our ten year anniversary (I’m saying this because we’ve had many struggles to get through in our 7 years). I think anyone who goes through hard times feels a renewal when things start to get better. Our ten year anniversary is the same year as Alex’s graduation from med school, and the year I will hopefully received my ordination through the Foursquare Church. So it will be a year of "ending one chapter, beginning another." Also, or current plan is to wait until Alex graduates to begin our family, so it will symbolize us leaving our “family of two” years behind us.

It’s also important to me because our wedding was not exactly what I had wanted. I wanted a small gathering a family and friends, and an outdoor wedding. I compromised a lot because it was important for Alex to have ALL our friends and family there. So we were married in the church Alex grew up in and had a cake and punch reception. I didn’t like many of my pictures-we hired a photographer who worked from home and the pictures did not turn out like I wanted. I actually like my candids from the wedding the best. By our ten year anniversary we will have the finances to be able to do the reception that I always wanted. I guess, to be honest, I want a do over. (There are obvious differences - we wouldn't accept presents; no bridesmaids/groomsmen, etc.)

So my question is; what do you think of vow renewals?

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

I think it's a FABULOUS idea! My husband and I have often talked about it too; exactly for the sake of a "do-over" (none of my family wasn't present as I'm the only one of my faith and they couldn't attend). I think the idea of ending one chapter and beginning another is so thoughtful and beautiful. What a fun thing to look forward too....

Janna said...

That would be a good reason for you to have a "do-over"! My sister and her husband want to renew their vows because they eloped.

I'm torn between running off to St. Lucia and renewing my vows on vacation there, or doing a big party. At least I have 3 years to decide! LOL. But your right, it is something to look forward too!

jamie said...

i love it! we're planning on doing that too. but for us it will just be the two of us on the beach where mark proposed. i wanted an outdoor wedding too, but that's a big "no-no" with the catholic church :-)