Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Expectations?

I can't sleep.

I've been up for the last hour working on one of the home study questionnaires. The question I'm stuck on is:

What do you expect from your children?

Um, I want them to be happy and healthy..... right? Is that enough?



I want to put something eloquent and profound. Nothing is coming.


The other question I'm stuck on:

What aspects of child-rearing are important to you?

Can someone define child-rearing? That's "raising children" right?

This is Websters Definition

  1. "The training or bringing-up of children by parents or parent-substitutes. It is used also for child rearing practices in different societies, at different economic levels, in different ethnic groups, etc. It differs from parenting in that in child rearing the emphasis is on the act of training or bringing up the child and the interaction between the parent and child, while parenting emphasizes the responsibility and qualities of exemplary behavior of the parent. "
So how is this question any different than the last 3 paragraphs I wrote on how I want to use positive discipline?!?

Yeah, I really need to go to bed....


2 comments:

Sammy said...

Hey Janna.

(In my opinion only)

Yup thats enough about expectations I think. The only expectation I have of Reuben is that he bonds to us and that I am his safe place.

Yes again, child rearing is bringing up kiddies.

Sounds like parernting is related to you and Alex and the syle of parenting you would have based on who you are as people and the experiences you have had that have shaped you.

And child earing is more practical "training" or methods that you would use and outcomes you would be aiming for....

Yikes. Head bender alright!!

Janna said...

Thank you Sammy!

I think I need to stop trying to work on this stuff after 10pm! I was able to actually finish the questions today. Yey! One down, a million pages left to go:)