Thursday, May 29, 2008

A “Memorable” Weekend

Memorial day weekend couldn’t have come soon enough! I worked 45hrs last week and I was so exhausted by the time I got off work on Saturday at 2:30pm. I was looking forward to two days off in a row. The best part - my parents came to visit!!!

So I came home to my parents already here and a clean apartment (two very great things in my bookJ) We headed out to Benicia for an early dinner and had a wonderful dinner at “Captin Blyther’s”. The food was amazing and we had a wonderful view of the ocean and the Al Zampa Memoral Bridge (which is a lot prettier than it sounds!). We spend some time wondering around downtown Benicia - can you tell it was windy? after we became tired of walking around in the wind and cold we headed over to Mare Island where Alex showed us where is school is (I still hadn’t seen it either.) Mare Island is so cool with all the old abandoned military buildings!

Sunday we drove out to Ikea and spent the morning shopping–because what’s a trip to the bay area without a stop in Napa??? After the guys took a short nap we headed out for the Napa Valley Wine Train. The food was wonderful and the wine was some of the best I’ve ever drank. It was so nice to see all the vineyards between Napa and St. Helena. We all agreed that it’s so much different in a train because when you’re driving you don’t get a chance to actually see all the vineyards as you pass them. It was fun to walk up and down through the different cars in the train.

Monday we headed to Napa for breakfast at one of Alex and my recent restaurant finds in downtown Napa, than went out to the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield where Dad and I were “Bamboozled”. Apparently they have these new Jelly Beans that look like normal flavors but are actually really gross ones, like baby wipes, vomit, and rotten eggs, and they call them there Bamboozled flavors. We didn’t know that, so we spun the wheel of horrors and got to taste those awful new flavors. Maybe a fun prank to play on someone but I’m not that mean! Anyway dad and I got lovely stickers to prove we were “Bamboozled”. The tour was nice but I think we’ll have to do it again on a week day instead of a holiday, so we can see everything in motion.

The weekend was wonderful. It was so nice to see my parents who I have missed so much since moving. It’s like having a little piece of home come here for a few days. A much needed piece of home. Now if I can only get a day off so I can actually go home for a few days and see everyone else that I miss so much…

No comments: