Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait

I guess I've always assumed that once I wanted to start the adoption process, that the agency I want to work with would have us come in right than and we would get started right away.

Apparently I was wrong. So very wrong.

So the first step is to attend an information meeting, which they usually do one a month. This month we will be at the "Weekend to Remember" conference in Sonoma the weekend of our anniversary's - and of course, this months meeting landing on that weekend, so April's out. Their meeting next month lands on the week of Alex's finals, so May's out. So that means that we can't even start the process until after the information meeting in June.

But that's not all, folks.

The first step in the process is doing the all day adoption seminar. Which isn't until late July. They only do one once every other month, and we can't go to the May seminar because, of course, its the week of Alex's finials.

So I have to wait 3 months to even start the process! Once the process is started (info meeting) they say that it usually takes 3-6 months to do the profile and prepare the home study. So the soonest my profile will be up is in October.

:(

Someone told me adoption was a bunch of "hurry up and wait" but I had no idea it would be like this. Realistically, 3 months is not that long. And we are looking into a few other adoption agencies so it may be sooner.

I'm just so ready for a baby its hard to think logically that things take time. I mean even pregnant women have to wait 9 months before they hold their new little ones!

8 comments:

Sammy said...

I know how you feel! Here in NZ all adoptions are run through a single government agency and you wait for ages. 6 months for the information session, another 6 months to do your day courses and a further 6 months until you are all assessed. 18 months in all! I certainly grew patience in us!!!

sheree said...

ugh, janna. I am THE most impatient person in the world so I can only imagine how this must feel....like torture?!

You're right though...three months isn't that long. But I know you are SO ready.

((hugs))

sheree said...

ps- can I rsvp for kristy's shower here? lol

Janna said...

Sammy - Ok, I feel much better knowing that at least I don't have to wait 18 months!


Sheree - I'm soooooo impatient too! I actually thought your mom RSVPed for you so you were already on the list! :)

Kirsten said...

I'm not sure what agency you are working with but we started with the Independent Adoption Center in Pleasant Hill and they were AMAZING! The only reason we aren't with them was the referral for an international adoption came first, but they have been around for decades and they have stuff running all the time so you don't have to wait. Let me know if you want some contact info...

Margie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janna said...

Kirsten thanks for the recommendation! I checked into them and they look like a great agency. We can start the process next month!

(I had to delete the comment because I was logged in as my mom on her computer! oops)

Sarah said...

Oh, I really feel for you. 3 months IS a really long time, and I'm hoping and praying that it will move quickly and happily for you. Just started reading your blog. Looking forward to following your journey!