Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Quilting Bee

For the last few months I've been sewing like crazy. It's worked out well, since my sewing kick corresponded with my mom's urge to get rid of fabric she bought but hadn't used (seriously, don't let my mom or me in a fabric store. We always end up buying fabric for stuff we never end up making). Back in September when I went to visit, we went through everything and found quite a few nice fabrics, as well as panels for baby quilts, so I took them home and went to work. In two weeks time I had made 5 baby quilts, all fairly simple. One of the quilts I had started a few years ago and decided it was time to finish.

So here's a few of the quilts I finished a few weeks ago:

This one was my fave, the one I had started a few years ago and finally finished. It has a cute baby-blue flannel backing with fire-trucks, ambulances, & police cars:


One of my best friends, Lynae, is expecting a baby boy, Caleb, in March. The walls of the nursery are a bright yellow, and she wanted that incorporated in the quilt as well as a race car theme. I found a great flannel with race cars to use as the backing, and the other fabric's matched perfectly. Here's the quilt I just finished today!


And now that I'm feeling nostalgic, I think I'll post a pix of the quilt I did for Andrea, Lynae's daughter:






Well that was fun! I have a few "expectant mothers" in mind for the quilts I made, and I'm planning on donating the rest to a local foster care agency. It gives me joy to know that babies will be cuddled up in these quilts soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you go girl!! All of them are beautiful!!! I finally finished Gabby's - and a crocheted afghan. I was into the quilting thing about 20 years ago and momma and the sisters all got quilts for their b-days for Christmas. Sheree still has hers that Grandma Ganshorn made - and I still have the pillows that went with my quilt Grandma Ganshorn made me. The quilt is long gone but the pillows are a great reminder. HOpe to see you soon. Love Vicki

sheree said...

okay you know what?!! I think someone needs to teach ME how to quilt since everyone else in the family knows how. I can't even thread the bobbin (is that how I say it?) lol

I propose quilting class/reunion. ;)